SAND 23 Submissions are open March 20 – April 10, 2021! Check out the call:
For SAND’s 23rd issue, we’re looking for art, poetry, fiction, flash fiction, and translated work that subverts, work that pushes against the boundaries of form, message, and voice in ways that we will feel, physically, in our bodies. We want work that haunts us with its soul, edge, and truth. Show us that fresh can be slow, sensitive can be rough, bold can be quiet.
SAND is a nonprofit journal of literature and art made by a diverse international team in Berlin. We welcome both emerging and established talents to submit, and we have long been devoted to amplifying the voices of writers and artists who are women, BIPOC, LGBTQ+, disabled, working class, and/or geographically underrepresented.
SAND is open to submissions of visual art, poetry, fiction, flash fiction, and translations from March 20 to April 10, 2021. (Creative nonfiction is currently closed.) Fiction, flash fiction, and poetry will close once submissions caps are reached, so submit your fiction, flash, and poetry early since these genres could close well before April 10.
Most of us editors are also writers and artists, and we know how it goes. That’s why we consider every submission, why we welcome emerging writers and artists, and why we will never charge you fees for submitting. (Donations and subscriptions are of course appreciated, and help us stay weird and independent.) We pay contributors, too, and will continue to do so for as long as our funding will allow.
The best way to get to know if your work is a fit for SAND is by reading digital or print issues of SAND, by reading editor interviews, or checking out editor interviews and performances of pieces from past issues on SAND’s YouTube channel.
More information on our style and approach can be found in these editorial interviews and articles:
* Secrets to Standout Submissions: Editorial Webinars on March 14th, 2021: https://sandjournal.com/webinars-secrets-to-standout-submissions/
* Our editors answer readers’ questions (video): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylEJ5ONxwwk&t=18s
* Our editors’ Duotrope interview: https://duotrope.com/interview/editor/5860/sand-literature-art
* Our commitment to diversity (interview with Lambda Literary): http://bit.ly/DiverseSubs
* Our poetry style (video for Lyrikmarkt 2020): https://bit.ly/PoetryEds
* Our visual art style (article): http://bit.ly/SANDart
* Our fiction style (article at Aerogramme): http://bit.ly/FictionEds